12.20.2006

Bowling Heads: Week 1

The NCAA College Football Season concludes with quite possibly the greatest of all events. No, not the NFL Superbowl or the NCAA Basketball March Madness tournament, but the NCAA College Football Bowl Bonanza! In less than one month, the NCAA throws a whopping 30 crazy games at you on almost everyday of the week, just for your gambling pleasure. Since this is my first year capping at the SixTalkingHeads, I wanted to give everyone reading a little extra incentive to come back each and every day. What special incentive could I give you for being such a loyal TalkingHeads Fanatic? How about some extra holiday spending cash? Get ready for the inaugural Pike's NCAA "Bowling Heads" Package!

My College Bowl System is quite simple, but I need you to do three things in order to make it work. Rule #1, you are going to have to trust me. Yes, I know that's probably not easy considering you don't even know who I am, but believe me when I say that the odds are I know a little more about sports handicapping than you do. Rule #2, designate a dollar amount per star and follow my star system exactly as I tell you too. If you do not follow this step, I cannot make you a successful gambler, nor can I guarantee you come out ahead after the College Football Season concludes. Rule #3, do not play your own games. I don't care if your brother, mother, or uncle (your great uncle) tells you it's his mortal lock of the millennium. Forget about him, he's nothing. Now for a brief explanation of my star system.



Throughout the 30 game bowl season I will rate my plays from 3 stars to 10 stars. The higher the star rating, the stronger the play. For instance, my typical play ranges anywhere from 3 to 4 stars. During the Bowl Season, I usually play one 5 star game and only one 10 star selection, which happens to be my NCAA College Football "Bowling Heads" Game of the Year...believe me, it's a doozy this year! But before you bet on any of my bowl selections, I need you to play every bowl game I recommend with the designated dollar amount you began the bowl season with. DO NOT change the dollar amount of your star system half way through the Bowl Season. I don't care if I start 5-0 or 0-5, stay the course and I promise you will be successful. For example, each game I choose, I will provide you with the side to play on and a designated star value associated with the play. If I assign the winning side 3 stars, I need you to multiply that by the designated dollar amount you started the Bowling season with. If you are playing $25 a star, then bet $75 on the game I recommend. No more, no less. Now, I know what you're thinking...what a pear-shaped loser! Trust me, stay the course, and I promise you a very happy New Year. Ok, enough about the boring stuff....the picks please!



Game #1 December 21, 2006: Oregon +3.5 over BYU

We know a lame duck when we see one, and this group of Mighty Ducks is quite the opposite. BYU has been a public team all year long and we believe the Stormin' Mormons are as overrated as they get. Knowing that the Cougars are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 December showdowns doesn't help the reglious richt much either. Call the Ducks what you want, but these Mighty Ducks are no pushover. Did you know that the Oregon Ducks are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 Bowl Games as an underdog? We love a solid dog play...even if we are betting on a few quackin' ducks.

3* Play on the Oregon Ducks +3.5



Game #2 December 23, 2006: South Florida -4.5 over East Carolina

Well, unfortunately in handicapping, there are some games you have to look at and go with what your gut tells you. On December 23rd, the South Florida Bulls will seek their first bowl win over the East Carolina Pirates. The bad thing for the Pirates here, is that this South Florida squad is no bull. Throughout the 2006 campaign South Florida clashed with Big East Rivals Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers. Although they went 1-2 against the Big East's "Big 3" in 06', they lost to Rutgers by only 2 points and a good Louisville team by only 23 on the road! In certain bowl games you need to compare the conferences in which the teams reside. Sure, East Carolina played a respectable Conference USA schedule. But the Conference USA schedule is no Big East schedule. Throw in the Bulls 4-0 ATS mark in their last 4 games as a fave, and it looks like the Bulls win again!

3* Play on South Florida -4.5


Game #3 December 23, 2006: Tulsa +1.5 over Utah

Our final matchup of Week 1 takes us to a game that could be a shootout. Both Tulsa and Utah have shown signs of greatness this year, and both squads know how to put up numbers when needed. Tulsa QB Paul Smith is fun to watch and is sure to light up the score board in this year's Bell Hellicopter Armed Forces Bowl. We know that the Bowl Game might not sound like much, but this is one bowl game you won't want to miss cashing in on. Take advantage of this little 3 star secret in Texas. With the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes touting an 8-1 ATS mark in their last 9 games following an ATS win, we may not want to play the otherside in what could be a one sided matchup. Need a hurricane to turn your wallet into gold? This may be your only chance.

3* Play on Tulsa Golden Hurricanes +1.5


Please remember to stick to my star system above!

Best of Luck,

Pikes

No comments: