5.27.2007

The Avett Brothers - Good Guys Finish First

“So you want to be in love like the movies/ But in the movies they’re not in love at all/ And with a twinkle in their eyes (ohh ahh ohh)/ They’re just saying their lines/ And so we can’t be in love like the movies.” This song was my first introduction to the Avett Brothers. A friend was visiting me in New Zealand and while road tripping around the South Island she played me this comical and catchy number. We were driving through Marlborough’s vineyards - drinking Sauvignon Blanc, eating olives and conspicuously dancing both in, out and on top the car. Needless to say, I became an instant fan after only hearing one song (admittedly, this new found love might have been attributed to the alcohol). But just as soon as I was introduced to the music, my friend and her iPod returned to the states and it was back to Neil Finn and Flying Nun bands for me.

Fortunately, upon returning home I was reunited with the band on coincidently, another road trip. I had two full weeks of cross-country driving to become versed in the Avett Brothers music and as each day passed my fondness for the band grew. From their early albums (Live at the Double Door and A Carolina Jubilee) to the more recent (Four Thieves Gone: the Robbinsville Sessions), the songs had staying (and driving) power. I was quite impressed that three men could make such intoxicating music with simply a standup bass, acoustic guitar, harmonica and banjo. Expressed in the Avett Brothers music are the sentiments and emotions we all feel but have difficulty articulating. It is the saccharine combination of words and instrumentation that makes the music so convincing. As many fans will attest, this North Carolina band is not to be categorized. Their mix of bluegrass, old-time, honky-tonk, Americana, folk and rock make for one hell of a musical cocktail!

I’ve heard nothing but praise about their live shows and recently had a chance to witness not one, but two performances in one week. The first took place in Philadelphia at the Trocadero and the second at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster. Since I only made it for half of the Philly show I can’t elaborate too much. But I distinctly recall a single Air Jordan sneaker being passed among the crowd. Now that’s punk rock! I entered the venue on what I think was the song “Pretty Girl from Chile.” I had to do a double take as I thought maybe I walked in on a hardcore show. The guys were electrically plugged in flailing erratically on the guitars and drums. I was unaware that the Avett Brothers even owned electric guitars and for a second it felt like I was witnessing Bob Dylan at Newport…minus all the disdain. The crowd loved the new amplified sound and the energy was contagious. It was a great, if brief, introduction for me.

After the foretaste, I was pleasantly surprised (and a little shocked) to learn they would be playing Lancaster. It takes an adventurous band to play an out-of-session college town on a Sunday night. Thanks to a friend (cheers - Caroline and Dane), my buddy, Janelle, and I were added to the guest list. Upon arrival I was skeptical that a significant number of people would even show. I think the last band I saw there was Boy Sets Fire back in 2002 and even though Lancaster has an affinity for hard-core music I recall the turnout to be most disappointing. But the opener, Jersey-born Nicole Atkins and her band, the Sea, helped draw a semi-local audience. While schmoozing, I learned that the tri-state crowd was well represented with hippies, punks, farmers and professionals of all ages. I knew I’d enjoy Nicole the second she sauntered on stage. Her onyx black baby doll dress was PJ Harvey meets Joanie Mitchell, accented with hot pink tights and knee high boots. Her music oscillates from catchy pop ditties to depressing pensive ballads – a definite treat for all the manics in the crowd.

Then the Avett Brothers took the stage. They were dressed in their characteristic suits, ties and sweaters. The first thing I noticed was Seth had shaved his chest length Civil War beard, making him appear a few years younger. They opened with the song “The Weight of Lies” from their newly released album Emotionalism. As a transient individual the lyrics of this song really strike a chord with me: “The weight of lies will bring you down/ And follow you to every town/ ‘Cause nothing happens here that doesn’t happen there/ So when you run make sure you run/ To something and not away from/ ‘Cause lies don’t need an airplane to chase you down.” The song has a gentle folksy feel complete with fluent guitar and tender humming. The night continued with classics intermittent with new songs. Janelle was excited to hear her old favorites: "Distraction #74, Traveling Song, and When I Drink" and I was eager to experience their latest material. Janelle informs me the addition of Joe Kwon on cello is fairly new direction for the band. Since the cello is one of my favorite instruments (next to the mandolin – which Scott, I think would nicely add to your repertoire), I was immediately excited to see Joe take the stage. It really complimented "If It’s the Beaches," making it an even more moving number. The combination of the cello and Nicole Atkin’s voice on "Swept Away" also proved a success.

As the title would suggest, the new songs are full of vulnerability, passion, and conviction. The crowd was treated to "Go To Sleep, Will You Return?" and "Paranoia in Bb;" as well as Scott tearing up the drums on "Die Die Die." I was a little disappointed in the absence of the allegorical "The Ballad of Love and Hate," but they had enough quality material that I quickly forgot. However, don’t let their boyish charm and gracious demeanor fool you. These boys can rock with the best of them! You know it’s an Avett Brothers show when throughout the set Scott breaks half dozen banjo strings and Seth ends up on his knees and back while shredding it up on the guitar. Add a little head sweat wiping and Elvis-esque gyrating and you’ve got a show to remember. With the exception of the rare NAPs (Non-Active Participants), the crowd was fully immersed in the music. I especially enjoyed watching a few couples contra dance in the middle of the floor.

If it’s not obvious enough, I’ve developed a real penchant for the Avett Brothers. They are the kind of charming country boys the girls want to date and the guys want to be. The music simply speaks for itself. The brothers produce rich harmonies and Bob strums the bass like it’s nobody’s business. They are the quintessential “good guys finish first” story. They’ve put out an album every year for the past six years with each one expanding on the talents of its predecessor. With an exhausting touring schedule, they continue to produce high energy shows without getting piss-ass drunk and always stick around to acknowledge their fans. Heck, their t-shirts are even American Apparel! Therefore, I strongly urge you to immediately start listening to their music and attend a show. They will be on tour all summer (www.theavettbrothers.com) and chances are they will be returning to a stage near you. But be sure to bring your dancing feet because once this machine gets rolling it is full speed ahead until the very end.

No comments: