12.12.2006

Operation 76: Save the Franchise

I’m going to be up front with everyone. In the past 5 years, I’ve lost interest in basketball. But I’m ready to come back. I want to come back to the Sixers so badly. I just need their help.

I must say I consider myself a “Philly boy,” even though I’m from the suburbs. I like the 76ers, but ever since they lost to L.A. in the Finals, I haven’t had much interest. It briefly stumbled back when we traded for Chris Webber. However, I soon realized this was not the same Chris Webber who called a time-out against North Carolina in the NCAA championship game, even though they had no time-outs remaining.

There is one thing the Sixers can do right now to make me fall in love all over again with the game and, more importantly, their team. They can trade Allen Iverson to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Randy Foye and Eddie Griffin. Based on all the rumors swirling around, the Sixers would probably also have to take Ricky Davis and Troy Hudson in the deal to balance out the economics. I say, “Pull the trigger!” It doesn’t matter if you have to include two future first round picks to make Kevin McHale give up Randy Foye. The deal has to be made. No other deal is going to do what this deal could do for the Sixers.








Can you imagine what the Wachovia Center would look like the first night that Foye and Griffin have a home game in Sixers’ uniforms? I can...it makes me giddy. I would even go so far as to say that it makes me schoolgirl giddy. The electricity in the arena that night would be more than palpable. It would penetrate into the very being of each fan. We would all experience that certain special feeling. You know the one, it’s indescribable, yet we’ve all had it happen. Jersey sales would go through the roof as we all lined up to purchase the sparkling new threads of our hometown boys. Fans would share in the euphoria that this is the start of something good - check that - something great.

This franchise needs that kind of energy and electricity. We need to know that the franchise is paying attention to the fans, if only for this moment in time. The best part of that link between the franchise and the fans is that we will not only suddenly start returning to the arena, but we will do so with an energy that invigorates the players. Those 12 men will be able to feed off of us when they need it the most. Also, opposing players will once again be fearful of the maniacal Philadelphia fans. We will fill the seats. We will be loud and passionate and yours. I can promise you that.








Foye and Griffin could be cornerstones for the next five to ten years. Randy Foye is 23 years old. Some scouts before this year’s draft compared him to Allen Iverson. He has some similar skills, but he also has a work ethic, demeanor, and maturity that mirrors the blue collar citizens of this town. Every Philadelphia basketball fan will tell you, “He is one of us.” We remember the electricity he helped infuse into this city during Villanova’s marvelous run just a year ago. We need that type of passion and that kind of player on our team. Eddie Griffin is still only 24 years old. He’s been around the league for a number of years now and has had his share of issues, but maybe the best remedy for him is a nice trip back home. Griffin is 6’10” and extremely athletic. He has the range to occasionally step outside, he can handle the ball, he can score points, he can rebound, and perhaps most importantly, he’ll swat some shots on the defensive end. The 76ers haven’t had someone in that mold in years. Actually, the only close comparison I can think of is Tim Thomas, but even he didn’t quite have the same skills. Some might say Keith Van Horn, but he never played defense and I doubt anyone would call him “athletic.”

This could be the start of a fantastic foundation. These two players matched with Dalembert and Iguodala would strike some fear into other teams. They might not all gel together and make this season magical, but I’ll lay down some money on next season. Rodney Carney would be an excellent infusion of energy off the bench. Even throwing Ricky Davis into the mix wouldn't upset me. Davis will probably throw off some of the chemistry, but perhaps the Sixers can turn him back to the Celtics with Willie Green for Delonte West and Theo Ratliff. Wow, that would be a pretty formidable team. Picture this: West – PG, Foye – SG, Iguodala – SF, Griffin – PF, Dalembert – C, with Carney, Korver, Ratiliff, and Webber to roll out off the bench. Granted, I doubt they’d be able to make that second deal, but even having Hudson run the point for the time being with Davis/Foye splitting time at the two would be a problem that I could live with.

Now is the time. The Sixers have a huge chance to resurrect their franchise in one move. I’m really pulling for them to finally make us proud to be Sixers fans. I so desperately want them to make the right move. When they do make this move, I promise them this: We will come.

No comments: