5.10.2007

Off the Top of My Head - Pischl

Following close on the heels of yesterday's rants by my good friend Jason, I feel it's only fair that I let out a few of my own rants.

Bonds Away
It is only a matter of time before everyone's favorite villian steps to the dish with 754 career homeruns. His name is Bonds - Barry Bonds. He's the greatest player to play the game during my 26 year lifetime. Yet, I can't help but feel undeniable spite for Barry during his chase of such a hallowed record.

I'll admit it. My dislike for the man who wears a hat 7 times the size of my waste goes way back. He was part of the Pittsburgh Pirates' teams that pounded on my Phillies relentlessly back in the late 80s and early 90s. In 1993, Bonds somehow managed to wriggle yet another MVP award from my favorite players grasp. That's right, I haven't forgotten about Lenny Dykstra getting shafted just so Bonds could get more fuel for his seemlessly insatiable ego (ironically, Dykstra is also an alleged steriod user).

After this, Barry moved out west and I honestly forgot about him for some time. That was until he got jealous of all the attention being given to McGwire and Sosa. No longer would Bonds be the skinny, scrawny all-around threat he built his early career upon, he would become the real life version of the Incredible Hulk...minus all the green. If that's what it took Barry to be happy, so be it. On the other hand, I'm not too happy about it.

Bonds is walking a very fine line here. Baseball is supposed to be America's game. It is meant to be a reflection of everything we believe to be true about America. There are unwritten rules, morals and dreams that enrapture the game and it's history in the same way that we get caught up in our own ways, means and beliefs. We don't like when these things get shattered, altered or cheated.

If Barry really is completely sure that he did not cheat his way to the one of the most storied records in baseball, then I am all for him hitting number 756. But if Bonds has knowingly cheated in any way, then it is time for him to walk away now. Leave the game and leave our minds with memories of Barry having the dignity and grace to show respect for not only the game and those who played it fairly, but also for all the reflections of the game and this country. This is not about media portrayal, demeanor, race, religion or what he had for breakfast. This is about unwritten rules, morals and dreams which underlie everything the people in this country believe in.

I want to remember Barry as the most talented baseball player I've ever seen play the game. But right now, I find it hard to remember his speed, his defense and his passion for the game. Barry was the greatest and we should remember him as such without losing hope in everything we believe in.

It's simple for Barry. Stare dead into the camera and make us all believe once again in the purity and majestic nature of America's game. The other option is to take one last intentional walk and leave the game behind.

Z is for Zabransky
The most shocking moment in last month's NFL draft was not the free fall of Brady Quinn or the Eagles selection of Kevin Kolb. The most shocking moment was the 32 NFL teams passing on Jared Zabransky.

Perhaps I'm a little jaded by the fact that "Z" ranks among my favorite college players of all-time. But how can you not love this guy? How does he not get the respect of being drafted after a tremendous college career? Why doesn't any NFL team have blue turf?

In all seriousness, Zabransky is the kind of football player teams love. He's tough and cocky. He doesn't fold under pressure or wilt after a mistake (Did all the scouts miss the Fiesta Bowl?). Zabransky led his team to an undefeated season. He completed 66% of his passes as a senior with 23 TDs and 8 INTs (half his INT total from his junior campaign). He's smart and mobile. He was the third fastest player on the entire Bronco squad. I just don't get how all of that gets over looked.

Kudos to EA Sports for making him the cover boy for their best sports franchise. Gamers who pick up College Football 2008 will have to stare at Zabransky every time they pick up the game. Furthermore, we have chocolate covered Kudos to give the Houston Texans for signing him as an undrafted free agent. I have no doubt he'll be on the squad for years to come. I will also order his jersey as soon as possible because my Boise State one is looking a little ragged after 2 years of use. I hope Matt Schaub bites the big one and Zabransky takes over and turns the woe-be-gone Texans into one of the best franchises in the NFL. It may sound crazy, but I fully believe it will happen.

He'll be the greatest story since Tom Brady; which would only make me about the giddiest M-Fer in all the land. It's no secret that Tom Brady's story is old and needs to be replaced. It's also no secrect that I don't think we should care about Brady anymore. No one will care about a sixth round pick from one of college football's most storied programs when they hear about the undrafted free agent from a school in Idaho who just wouldn't stop shocking the world.

It's only a matter of time before Journey's song about a small-town boy becomes the theme song for a quarterback who's a whole lot more than just a one-hit wonder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right Pischl, baseball is America's game. So, why are you so upset that baseballs most high profile player is going at it America's way? The US is the most highly medicated country in the entire world. Every one of us relies on some sort of pill or potion to gets through the day, or give us a little edge, e.g. morning coffee. Not a single professional athlete now a days goes a single day without popping a handful of supplements. The fine line is knowing which ones are superior to others. Personally I don't care about the homerun record, and really don't understand why it is so honored. Athletes are getting bigger and stronger and I have no doubt that someone will eventually top Bonds' final mark - with the help of supplements. It's impossible to compare then to now. You can say the sports heroes of yesteryear did it "right", but the sports stars of today are doing it better.

Anonymous said...

I want to see PISCHL post about the Super Bowl!