2.03.2007

NFL Picks, Super Bowl


Well, that was an interesting weekend, wasn’t it? No football at all for the first time in months. I don’t like it one bit. I guess I better get used to it though, considering the last big game is played tomorrow.

I hate this time of year. Football is ending, baseball isn’t quite here yet and we still have to wait another month for the Madness that is March. The only thing I know of that can get me through this horrible month of February is...money.

Money can be a cure when no one else can think of anything. Most of you readers were probably a little down after I dropped that 0-4 bomb during the divisional round of the playoffs. Fortunately, if you stayed true to the picks, then during the conference title games you cleaned house because I swept them (2-0).

Everyone has bad weeks, but I had a great season overall. Hopefully, you all made some money this NFL season by listening to me. I know I did. Anyhow, for the last pick of the season, the winner is…

Super Bowl: Indianapolis Colts (12-4) vs. Chicago Bears (13-3)

I know I wrote that the NFC title game between the Bears and the Saints was the ultimate meeting of offense versus defense. That was before the cold weather, hostile crowd, and the Saints blunders turned the game into a false prediction. The weather in Miami will not be cold. The crowd in Miami should be about 50-50 (give or take a few thousand) and Peyton Manning has shown that he is very capable of getting over this “hump” people keep talking about. This game will certainly be about "offense versus defense", even more so than the NFC title game. Sure, in some ways it will be the Colts offense versus the Bears defense, but mostly it will be about the Colts defense versus the Bears offense.

The Colts are going to score some points on the Bears. The Bears are going to stop the Colts some too. Peyton will throw at least one interception, but also at least one touchdown pass. This is not the key match-up. The key will be whether or not the Colts can stop the run. The key will be whether or not Rex Grossman plays like a donkey. These are the keys to the Super Bowl.

In the end, I am torn between who I want to win and who I think will win. I would like to see Peyton will the big game so that people will shut the hell up about how he can’t win it. There is nothing I hate more in sports than a story that gets too much coverage. I just can’t shake this feeling though, that the Bears WIN (yeah, you heard right) this game. Now, I’m not telling you to take the money line on this game. I keep hearing people say things like, “The Colts should be favored by 14 points - they are gonna kill ‘em!” I guess I just don’t see it.

The people that make the lines make a very good living off of it. They know what they are doing, more than anyone possibly could. Honestly, I don’t know how they can do it. I just accept that they know more than me, and try to read what they are doing as best I can. With that in mind, the bet this weekend is the Chicago Bears (+7).

This is my last NFL post for the season (gambling post anyhow), but don’t worry too much because I also write picks for the NBA. Remember to check back here every day starting on Monday for potential daily picks. For one last time this football season: happy gambling to you all!

No comments: