1.10.2007

Siriusly Stern











Some hate him, some love him...I can’t seem to live without him. If you asked me what I thought about Howard Stern three years ago, I would have replied "Howard who?" Now that wasn’t because I didn’t know exactly who the King of All Media was, I guess I just didn’t really care about him or the subject of talk radio in general.

When I graduated college a few years ago and began to do the cattle crawl on the way to work in the morning, I searched through what seemed like hundreds of radio channels to find something that kept my interest. One time, after hearing my co-workers blab about how wonderful the almighty Howard Stern was, I decided to turn the radio dial to Philadelphia’s own 94-1 WYSP to see what the fuss was about. After about 15 minutes and half of my morning commute, I realized my relationship with the King was already dead. Disappointed that my commute was sucked away by what seemed to be one endless hour long commercial, I decided to take the plunge into the world of Satellite Radio. The move would be quite possibly the best one I ever made.

I can’t tell you that I knew Howard Stern was eventually going to go to Satellite Radio. I wish I was that smart...but I’m not. However, I can tell you that I beat most of the general public when I purchased my first 100 shares of Sirius Satellite Radio at 70 cents several years ago (while still in college). Obviously, I didn’t strike it rich with my $70 investment/beer money, however doing the research on my stock endeavor provided me the knowledge to thoroughly research the two outfits (XM and Sirius) and eventually choose today’s winner, Sirius. It didn’t hurt knowing back then that the previous CEO Joseph Clayton was the prior CEO of DirectTV and the brains behind the NFL Sunday Ticket. I can and will take credit for seeing the Sirius NFL deal, but the Howard Stern signing was beyond my insight.

Two days ago, Howard Stern finished his first full year at Sirius Satellite Radio. I couldn’t be happier for him. Since tuning into Stern a little over a year ago, I have found myself actually enjoying my morning commute for the first time ever. I couldn’t tell you the last time I dropped the F-Bomb at someone for driving to slow into work because I’m no longer concerned about arriving on time. If I’m late, my punishment is listening to the most entertaining radio I have ever heard. If most of you are thinking my morning commute is constantly filled with cursing and naked girls you are flat out wrong. I’m not going to lie and tell you that Howard’s guests, from time to time, don’t drop a few swear words or remove a pair of panties, but the entertainment value for $12.95 a month has greatly exceeded my expectations.

Over the past year, Howard has turned several guests who I would have thought to be outright boring, into the best talk radio I have ever heard. With less than 5 minutes of commercials per hour and two channels of 24 hour Stern and associates, I am in commute heaven! Artie, Robin, and Fred, if you are reading this...keep up the good work! I only hope that the genius himself can continue to entertain me for the next four years of his Sirius contract. Judging by how the first year went by, I have no doubt that he will. I guess I should have listened three years ago about this guy named Howard because my co-workers were definitely on to something.

Howard, I wish you the best of Luck.

Pikes

No comments: