1.06.2007

NFL Picks - Wild Card Weekend

And so...the playoffs begin. With two games on Saturday and two more on Sunday, 2007 is starting off with a bang. This year, more than ever, there have been upsets galore. I cannot remember a season where there have been so many games where the result has been so startling. So how does one know who to bet on? I think that with a little research, winners can be found.Game One: Kansas City Chiefs (9-7) at Indianapolis Colts (12-4)

The Colts reputation in the playoffs precedes them. Everyone knows all about how their regular season dominance quickly turns to losses in the postseason. People know that Indy’s run defense has more holes than a putting green, but it’s what people forget that gives us our winner. People forget that the Chiefs are a terrible road team. I think the Colts are under the radar a little bit, for the first time in years, which gives them a better shot to advance in my mind. The pressure is off, which will lead to big numbers this weekend. I’ll take the Colts (-7).

Game Two: Dallas Cowboys (9-7) at Seattle Seahawks (9-7)

This game might just be the toughest to pick this weekend. Two teams with the same record, the money is split right down the middle, and the line hasn’t moved from where I honestly feel it should be. That being said, I think injuries will be the deciding factor in this game. Dallas is fairly healthy, while Seattle is missing its top three cornerbacks. The Cowboys want nothing more than to run the ball all day. If the Seahawks have to keep the safeties deep all day to help the corners, I see Jones and Barber having big games. If Seattle brings the safeties up to stop the run, T.O. and Glenn could have even bigger days. I’ll take the ‘Boys (+3) in Seattle.

Game Three: New York Jets (10-6) at New England Patriots (12-4)

The Jets are in the playoffs? Did anyone see this coming? If you say yes...you are probably a liar. If you say yes and you aren’t a liar, you should be writing this column instead of me. I think the Pats are a little banged up, a little too old, and a little too confident about this game. Sure, New England will make it to next week, but the Jets' young coach will keep them in this game until the end. Who knows, without their stud kicker, the Pats might even blow this one. I’m going J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS (+8.5).

Game Four: New York Giants (8-8) at Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)

At the start of the season, if someone had told me this would be a first round playoff match up, I would not have thought twice about it. After Week 8 of the season, I would have first asked you what you were on, and then asked if I could try some. Now? I still want to try some…but I want even more to pick the winner of this game. The Giants are a team that doesn’t really know which way they are going half the time. The Eagles meanwhile, have been as steady as they come the last 5 weeks. I’ll take the Eagles (-7) and their consistent success this weekend.

No comments: