1.13.2007

NFL Picks: Divisional Round


The first playoff weekend started off wonderfully…and ended not so well. After going 2-0 on the Saturday games, Sunday turned out to be just the opposite. This weekend I strive for perfection, but then again...I always do. So what makes this weekend different?

This weekend’s games are the division winners. Every single Wild Card team lost last weekend, meaning the only teams left were good enough to win their respective divisions. Personally, I think that is the way it should be from the start, but we’ll get into that another time. Anyhow...on to this weekend’s games.

Game One: Indianapolis Colts (12-4) at Baltimore Ravens (13-3)

What a great game this appears to be on paper. Peyton Manning and his prolific offense facing Ray-Ray and his dominant defense. I love these games. What I love even more is making money on these games. Peyton will really miss having Edge in the backfield today, because of his blitz pick-up abilities. Look for the Ravens to constantly send the linebackers today because their corners have the talent to stay with Marvin and Reggie. I’m taking the Ravens (-4).

Game Two: Philadelphia Eagles (10-6) at New Orleans Saints (10-6)

In the first meeting between the teams this year, the Saints were able to run out the clock and kick a field goal as time expired to take the win. Did I mention that they ran off about half of the 4th quarter on that same game winning drive? Both teams are quite different than they were in that game though. The Saints have continued their winning ways, but have looked beatable at times. The Eagles, meanwhile, have won 6 straight games and are looking very solid. Add the fact that I’m an Eagles fan, and I think we both know who I’m taking…THE SAINTS! Take the Saints (-5).

Game Three: Seattle Seahawks (9-7) at Chicago Bears (13-3)

The name in this game, as I’m sure everyone knows, is Rex Grossman. Basically, when betting this game one needs to decide which Rex will show up. Is it the Rex who hits his WRs on long passes for easy scores or the Rex who hits defenders on short passes…also for easy scores? I’m betting on the decent Rex. I think the Bears will run the ball, play tough defense, and win this game pretty easily. Even if Rex doesn’t have a super game, his defense can score enough points to get the win. Plus, the Bears have a return man who could outscore the Seahawks by himself. Watch out for him. I’m taking the Bears (-8.5).

Game Four: New England Patriots (12-4) at San Diego Chargers (14-2)

This has the makings of a great game. The MVP of the league against a Super Bowl MVP should be a great game. Tom Brady didn’t get his annual Pro Bowl selection this year and I think he is a bit miffed. The man who took his spot is Philip Rivers. Rivers, in his first year as a starter, played well enough to be voted to Hawaii over Tom Brady. Of course, he played that well because he had LT2 playing right behind him, beside him, and in front of him. Sure, Rivers is a talented player, but not talented enough to make the Pro Bowl on this team without #21. All this year I have gotten burned by the Chargers and their top running back. Not again. Even though I think Brady comes out firing, I think the Chargers take the game by a touchdown. I’ll take the Chargers (-5).

No comments: