12.19.2006

Rocky Balboa in Philly: Part 1

Jergens: What exactly are you looking for Apollo?

Apollo Creed
: This is who I'm looking for. The Italian Stallion.

Jergens
: Rocky Balboa? Never heard of him.

Apollo Creed
: Look it's the name man. The I-talian Stallion. The media will eat it up. Now who discovered America? An Italian right? What better way to get it on than with one of its descendants?

Apollo's Trainer
: He's a southpaw. I don't want you messing with southpaws. They do everything backwards

Apollo Creed
: Southpaw nothing. I'll drop him in three. Apollo Creed meets the Italian Stallion. Now that sounds like a damn monster movie.

Monster movie indeed. From the original script thirty years ago through Mr. T, Dolph and Tommy Guns, the Rocky movie franchise has undergone quite an evolution. The original Rocky film was reflective of the title character himself: unexpected, unheralded, and unforgettable. Sadly, by the time Rocky 5 was released, the adjectives had changed to: unbearable, unnecessary and unforgivable. What had started as an emotional underdog story about a lovable loser had devolved into a steaming pile of crap. So why does Hollywood think it's time for another one of these movies? And why am I so damn excited about it?

Dolph Lundgren wants YOU to get excited about Rocky Balboa!

Several months ago SixTalkingHeads brought you a blow-by-blow review of the Rutgers/Louisville game. We went to the game. We tasted the food. We even chanted R...U. We had alot of fun immersing ourselves in this journalistic experience and you, our readers, seemed to enjoy reading about it. Being that the Rutgers experience went so well, we've decided to try it again. As such, tomorrow evening two of the TalkingHeads will be attending a raucous showing of Rocky Balboa...on opening night...in South Philly. Ok, so it might not technically be "opening night" (considering the midnight showings that most films run these days) and it might not be "sout' filly" South Philly (at the Riverview), but it's Rocky...it's the first day of the wide release...and it's Philadelphia.

In order to properly prepare myself for this Rocky-riffic experience, I whipped out the thinking cap (a red beret for those of you scoring at home) and took a short trip down my own private Sylvester Stallone memory lane. Sly is a famous guy. In order to fully appreciate his performance in Rocky Balboa, I wanted to have fresh in my mind an understanding of his career evolution. As I began this effort I soon realized that it is very tough, if not impossible, to separate the actor from the boxer. Sure, I remember Stallone from some semi-respectable action/explosion turns in the Rambo series and Cliffhanger, but really, what else has this guy given us? I vaguely remember him dressing up in a suit and looking goofy for a film called Oscar and I also cannot erase the visions of his ghastly Judge Dred effort, but there has to be more doesn't there? No...not really. For all his fame and notoriety, Stallone's career really boils down to one movie...one character...one plot. He's Rocky! And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Full Disclosure: I initially thought Stallone put out one of those "action stud becomes a babysitter" movies, but I now realize that was Hulk Hogan...Governor Arnold...and Vin Diesel.

After a little analysis, we can see that Sly's other roles are all just takeoffs from his Rocky character. We had Rocky in an army movie. Rocky climbing mountains. Rocky as a cop in the future...and Rocky worried about someone shooting his mom. None of these roles were viewed as departures from Stallone's Rocky character because, frankly, none of us could separate him from that character. To judge Rocky is to judge Stallone. It is through Rocky Balboa (and how it fits with the films before it) that Sly's career will be defined.

So how will that career defined? While I can't yet tell you how the final product turned out, I can relay my expectations...

It was several years ago that someone first floated to me the idea of another Rocky sequel. Outwardly, I reacted appropriately. I scoffed. I giggled. I probably made a joke about Rocky 5 and how it was a steaming pile of crap. On the inside? In the dark recesses of my mind that nobody else can see? "Excited" doesn't even begin to describe it. For members of my generation, the Rocky movies were a creature of cable movie of the week and DVD more so than the theater. I was 8 or 9 when Rocky 5 came out and while I may have been distracted by Transformers and Ninja Turtles, I can't remember that release generating very much excitement. But this time...this is different. Perhaps it's the extended layoff (nearly 16 years) or perhaps it is the notion of a new great name (Mason "The Line" Dixon) for a new great Rocky villain, but something has me terribly excited about this movie. Add in the fact that I'm now a Philly resident, and I seriously feel as though it's my civic duty to attend this movie.

My excitement about this experience extends far beyond the film itself. It's hard to think about Rocky and not think about Philly. It's hard to live in Philly and not think about Rocky. Anyone driving up the Franklin Parkway would be hard pressed not to think of our friend Sly mounting the museum steps every time they see a jogger. Anyone attending a sporting event would be hard pressed not to stand and cheer when the Rocky theme blasts from the speakers. Rocky and his movies portrayed the hard nosed city that Philadelphians pride themselves on...and they love him for it. To see his depiction of the city one last time, sitting amongst many of the people fitting of that depiction, will certainly be an experience in and of itself.

I sign off with high expectations and much anticipation. Whether the movie is bad or...very bad, I plan on celebrating appropriately and cheering Rocky all the way. I'm a Philadelphian now and Rocky is one of us. If you've made it this far, I invite you to check back soon for a follow-up article. By then, we'll know if Rocky can go the distance with Mason Dixon, and we'll know if he's still alive. Until then...it's time for me to "eat lightnin' and crap thunder" - I've got a movie to see!

No comments: